Forgot to pay the Mersey toll? Here’s what to do next
Merseyflow is the toll operator for the Mersey Gateway and Silver Jubilee free-flow toll bridges. The bridges are situated between Runcorn and Widnes in Cheshire, and span the river Mersey and the Manchester Ship Canal. All drivers are charged per crossing, however there are some exemptions in place. Find a full list of exemptions here.
There are no barriers or payment booths, so payments need to be made online. Forgot to pay the Mersey toll and have received a Penalty Charge Notice (PCN)? Find out how you submit a Merseyflow fine appeal or how to pay the PCN quickly to reduce the cost of the fine. If you need to speak with the operating team, find the Merseyflow contact number here, too!
I forgot to pay the Mersey toll, what happens now?
If you drive across the Silver Jubilee Bridge or Mersey Gateway Bridge and forget to pay the charge by midnight the day after you cross, you’ll be liable for a £40 PCN. This will be sent to the address your vehicle is registered to.
Once you receive a PCN, head to the Merseyflow website  where you will be required to enter the Penalty Charge Notice number and your vehicle registration number. You will then be asked to pay the PCN. We advise you to pay the Mersey toll penalty within 14 days to reduce the cost of the fine to £20.
How do I submit a Merseyflow fine appeal?
If you think you have been fined unfairly, you can submit a Merseyflow fine appeal by following the instructions on the back of the PCN. Here are some important things to keep in mind when submitting a fine appeal:
- A challenge must be made within 28 days of receiving the PCN
- Merseyflow will respond to your appeal within 56 days
To submit an appeal, you will need:
- The Penalty Charge Notice letter
- The Penalty Charge number, which will start with the letters ‘XM’
- The registration number of the vehicle that is referred to in the Penalty Charge Notice.
You will also have the option to include any supporting evidence, for example:
- A receipt or unique transaction number for your payment
- The name and address of the person you sold your vehicle to, along with a proof of sale document
- A crime reference for a stolen vehicle
- Your V5C form for an exempt vehicle
- A death certificate if the registered keeper is deceased
- Sufficient evidence that the vehicle was in a different location at the time of the fine.
Any other evidence can also be submitted to assist the Mersey toll team to help them in understanding your case.
I need to get in touch, what’s the Merseyflow contact number?
If you need to speak to someone from the toll operating team, the fastest way to contact them is over the telephone:
Merseyflow contact number: 01928 878 878
Monday to Sunday: 8am to 8pm
Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays: 9am to 6pm
Other ways to get in touch:
Merseyflow Customer Services
PO BOX 327
By walking in:
The walk-in centre is open from 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 6pm on Saturday, Sunday, and bank holidays.
What’s the fastest way to make future Mersey toll payments?
The Caura app is the easiest way to avoid getting future PCNs and is the fastest way to pay the Mersey Gateway or Silver Jubilee Bridge toll charges.
Download the app and enter your vehicle registration number. Then, select ‘Roads & Tolls’ and choose the Merseyflow toll charge.
In Caura, you have the option to pay for ‘2 crossings’ in the same transaction, so if you’re planning on making a return journey then choose this option. If not, go ahead and pay for a single crossing using Apple Pay, Google Pay, credit, or debit card.
The benefits of using Caura?
- Two tap payments on your phone, making it easier for you to pay when you need to
- All receipts are stored in-app in the ‘History’ tab, ready for you whenever you need them. From there, you can even export a copy of the transaction straight to your email
- When you enter your registration number, Caura will automatically send you reminders for upcoming renewals like your MOT and car tax, and you can sort these quickly in the app
- Get quotes from market leading insurers in under a minute, and manage your policy in the app
- When you create an account with Caura, you’re signed up to our monthly newsletter – rounding up all the important news, driving law changes and any other important information you’ll need to be aware about!
For more information about the Mersey toll, click here.
Or download the Caura app and get started on your journey of easy driving across the UK!