The impact of extreme weather on car components
Extreme weather conditions can dramatically impact a car’s components. In this blog, we’ll explore how such weather conditions can adversely affect when you get a service, and highlight the...
Extreme weather conditions can dramatically impact a car’s components. In this blog, we’ll explore how such weather conditions can adversely affect when you get a service, and highlight the importance of timely and appropriate vehicle care.
How does extreme weather impact your car’s performance and how can you prevent component damage
By understanding the impacts of hot and cold weather on different car components, you can take proactive measures to maintain your vehicle’s performance and reliability throughout the year. Here are 7 car components affected by extreme weather:
- Battery: cold temperatures can reduce a car battery’s capacity significantly, making it harder for your car to start. On the other hand, hot weather can cause battery fluid to evaporate, damaging the internal structure of the battery. Regular checks in both extremes can prevent unexpected battery failures
- Engine: hot weather can put extra stress on your car’s engine, increasing the chance of overheating. During the winter, engines take longer to reach their most efficient temperature. Both scenarios might require more frequent oil and filter changes
- Tyres: in cold weather, tyre pressure can decrease, affecting handing and fuel efficiency. Hot weather can increase the pressure in your tyres and hasten wear and tear. Regularly checking and adjusting your tyre pressure according to the manufacturer’s guidelines is essential in these cases
- Coolant system: in the summer, your vehicle’s cooling system works harder to prevent the engine from overheating. It’s crucial to regularly check the coolant levels and get the system serviced if necessary
- Wipers and windscreen fluid: winter conditions can be harsh on your wipers. Regular replacement is necessary to ensure good visibility. Additionally, you need to ensure your windscreen fluid can withstand cold temperatures to prevent it from freezing
- Fuel economy: in winter, cars use more energy to stay warm, leading to decreased fuel efficiency. In the summer, using the air-conditioning system reduces fuel efficiency. It’s important to get regular maintenance on both the air conditioning and heating systems to ensure they continue to run efficiently
- Brakes: extreme temperatures and weather conditions can affect brake life. For instance, driving in heavy rain or snow often requires more aggressive brake use, which can lead to faster wear and tear
As such, it’s recommended that you service your car seasonally to prepare for the changes in weather. This typically involves checking fluid levels, testing the battery, checking the tyre pressure and tread depth, inspecting the braking system, and checking the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system for performance.
Regular preventive maintenance can save you costly repairs and extend the life of your vehicle. Book a service in Caura today via 7,000+ trusted mechanics near you, and at exclusive pricing.
How often should you service your car in extreme weather conditions
Understanding how extreme weather conditions affect your car can influence the timing of when you schedule service appointments. Here’s how:
- Seasonal service: it’s a good practice to get your car serviced just before the onset of extreme weather seasons. For instance, get your car serviced in autumn to prepare for the harsh winter and again in the spring to ready your car for the summer
- Increased frequency: if you live in an area that frequently experiences extreme weather, you may need to get your car serviced more often than the typical recommendation of every 12,000 miles or 12 months. This could be due to increased wear and tear on various car components
- Pre-emptive booking: extreme weather conditions can lead to an increased demand for car servicing. To avoid delays, consider booking your service well in advance of when you’ll need it. This is especially important in areas that experience harsh winters or extremely hot summers
- Post-extreme weather service: if your vehicle has been exposed to a severe weather event such as a snowstorm, heavy rainfall, or heatwave, it might be wise to schedule a service shortly afterward. This will help identify and fix any potential damage or issues cause by the weather event
Remember, preventive maintenance is always better than reactive repair. Regular servicing can help ensure that your car remains safe and efficient regardless of the weather conditions. Always consult your vehicle’s owner manual or contact the manufacturer for specific maintenance and service schedules.
How can Caura help
We’ve made it easier than ever for you to book a service or schedule one for later. Download Caura for free, enter your vehicle reg and tap on ‘Book Garage’. Then choose what work you want to get done and get booked in at a garage near you in seconds.
Here’s why you should book in Caura:
- You get access to exclusive pricing meaning you’ll always get a fair deal for the work you get done
- Manage everything from booking to authorising additional work in-app
- Be confident that your vehicle is in good hands – we only work with qualified, vetted mechanics
Download Caura today to get started
2023-06-21 · by Caura